Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Burnished Clay Walls

How neat would it be if I actually had clay walls? Unfortunately that's just the name of the color I painted on a few walls in the house. It replaced all the SW "Totally Tan" walls.

The wall that connects the living room and dining room was in terrible shape. Moving furniture up and down had left a nightmare of knicks and gashes which needed to be spackled.

drywall spackling

That picture doesn't even show the half of it! When it comes to future touch ups, you can really only do it flawlessly with a flat finish paint. I'm switching from eggshell to flat with this color change. Spackling is pretty easy, you can find supplies near the paint at Home Depot or Lowes. Use a putty knife to spread some compound into the hole, and smooth it out. Scrape off the excess. I let mine dry overnight, but some compounds can be covered with paint fairly quickly after application. After it is dry, I took a very fine sanding block and went over each spot just to make sure I had an even surface.

I applied just one coat, which covered well. Here are the results!

behr's burnished clay in living room

This blank space will soon be the home of a gallery wall (like the one in our bedroom). I've already painted some cheapo Goodwill frames in Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze, and I'm just trying to decide on the images themselves.

behr's burnished clay

Here's a little peek at that toilet paper roll wall art I made a awhile ago. Right now it's just hanging out waiting to be painted on some drywall anchors left from those tic-tac-toe shelves we used to have up.

behr's burnished clay in dining room

The tea/coffee area in the dining room...I love the color of the wood against the new wall shade!

Overall, I really like it! Depending on the light, it looks more warm and clay-like or cool and gray. Since I love both of those, it's pretty neat if you ask me!

5 comments:

Janet said...

Very nice Rachael! What a difference and the coffee cabinet looks great against that color. Can't wait to see it in person.

Have you seen the great KCup revolving holders that Bed, Bath & Beyond have? One holds 30 KCups! Check them out and let me know.. you never know when a Birthday sneaks up lol

Amy with Good Day! said...

Looks like the perfect warm-neutral shade. :) It really makes the pretty wood floors and wood cabinate pop!

Rachael said...

Oh yeah I have seen those kcup holders, how neat!

Nancy said...

The wall color turned out great! The touches of black really accent it well. Good job! Been right there with you having the paint brush out this week....having carpet installed right now and the color is not too far different than your new wall!
xoxo
Nancy

Rachael said...

Thank you! It seems like I live with a paint brush in my hand these days. Yay for new carpet!!

Post a Comment