Monday, August 30, 2010

A Pegboard Named Desire

Think those industrial looking pegboards are just for men who love tools? Think again! With a bit of paint and creativity, you'll end up with an organizational jackpot suitable for anyone!

What you'll need:

  • Pegboard(s) and accessories (hooks, baskets, etc)- found at Home Depot and Lowes

  • Spray paint

  • Accent paint (either craft paint or a different color spray paint)

  • Small paint brushes

  • Stencil


Start by spray painting your pegboard(s) all over- you can totally stop here, and it would still look great! I used Krylon's "Hyacinth."

Plain pegboard

Painted pegboard

After the board(s) dry, grab your stencil (or you could free hand). I found this picture of a flower online that I blew up and printed out. I cut out the large parts to trace, and filled in the rest by hand. I put one flower on each board in the corners.

Stencil


Traced stencil


Now fill in your drawings with an accent color. According to Krylon's website, you can use their paint with a regular brush (who knew??). I chose a pink spray paint called "Raspberry" which I took outside and sprayed into a plastic tub. It's a bit watery, but it worked great!

Painting stencil

Once your details dry, you might want to finish with a clear coat of some kind to protect your work-this is definitely a piece that will get a lot of use!

Hang your board(s), put in your pegboard accessories, and organize! Sorry for the quality of the picture, I took it at night and the lighting is bad in the basement (will be fixed soon!).

Finished Pegboard

Wouldn't a smaller version of this look sweet in a girl's room over a desk? Switch up the colors and details for a boy's room! But this purple and pink beauty is for yours truly, to keep all my craft supplies (which I obviously haven't put up yet). He would never admit it, but I think my husband is jealous!

Accessorize Pegboard

Cost Breakdown:

(2) 2'x4' pegboards- $6.47/ea

(3) cans Krylon spray paint-$2.60ish/ea

Pegboard accessories-some owned, but will need to purchase more

Stencil-free

Paintbrushes-free

Total: $20.74, plus any additional pegboard accessories down the line.

Not too bad for an awesome way to organize your things (and keep them at arm's reach) without taking up desk space, drawers, or shelves!

****Linked Up****



9 comments:

Kaysi @ Keeping It Simple said...

Cute! love the flower!

Rachael said...

Thank you, can't wait to fill it up!!

Terrell said...

Simply adorable!!! You're so creative!! I love the girly touch! I would love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up to my party every Friday @ Fabulous Friday Finds! Hope to see you there!!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Rachael said...

Terrell-Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to be your friend! I'll be sure to check out your linky party on Friday.

ClassyChassy said...

You signed into Tuesdays' Show and Tail about the animals and pets, and I can't find your post. The link sent me to your profile! Maybe you should sign in again with the right link so we can see your pets.

Rachael said...

I'm sorry! It looks like some other people have found it, but if the link is wrong just click the "about us" at the top, and it shows you all about us and our pets. Thanks for stopping by! :)

Rachael said...

Sonya-thank you for checking out my project! If only I could get motivated to put my stuff on there now LOL!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

SO CUTE!!! I totally want to do this in my craft room!!! I'm putting it in the PoPP Spotlight on Saturday.

Rachael said...

Thanks so much Maryann, I'm so honored!!

Post a Comment