Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's A Hard Knot Life

The second I laid eyes on my hardwood floors I immediately went out and bought a Swiffer Wet Jet. I mean this is the epitome of floor cleaning genius, isn't it?


Well after a few years of use, I started noticing nasty build up on my floors. I could tell the dirt was just getting coated over with the "juice" and disguised as shine. Completely grossed out and feeling swindled, I began exploring a plethora of alternatives: special hardwood floor cleaners from Home Depot, Murphy's old fashioned floor soap...I even thought about buying a "real" mop. Then I heard about the Shark Steam Mop. Convinced it would give me the gleaming, clean floors of my dreams, I hurried over to Bed, Bath, and Beyond with coupon in hand to purchase this beacon of hope. To be honest, it was also a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many people are happy with it (and even their Swiffer!) but with 3 cats, a dog, and a "shoes on" house-our knotty oak floors need serious care. I wanted it to feel clean under my feet-not just have a fake shine.

The problem was that I love the ease of the Swiffer, but the natural goodness of the Shark.

Enter Mrs. Meyer*s All Purpose Cleaner. Now I'd read about this stuff in a few places, but I only just recently decided to take the plunge and buy a bottle. Let me tell you the Lemon Verbena (the only scent I saw in my Target) smells AMAZING. It really makes the whole room smell fresh, and I absolutely fell in love with it.


I love this stuff so much that I actually hand scrubbed my floors to get all that gunk off from all my previous dabbling in floor cleaning technology. Then I devised a way to make my Swiffer do the dirty work for me. We happened to have a mostly empty bottle of Swiffer Cleaner, so against the on-pain-of-death instructions on the label I opened it up to (GASP!) refill it. I diluted some of the Clean Day concentrate with water and put the top back on. Sure enough, it worked! Now I can mop my floor easily with the cleaner I love :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment