Thursday, June 3, 2010

Silk Flowers...DOs and DON'Ts

When it comes to fake flowers, there is definitely a fine line between tacky and tasteful. Here are some tips:

1. Keep it simple, the more flowers you put together, the more likely it is that one (or more) of them will look obviously fake.
2. Stick to vases you would use for real bouquets. If live flowers wouldn't look appropriate, skip it.
3. Pick flowers that are unique. Everyone knows what a real rose looks like, which means they also know what a fake one looks like.
4. Splurge the extra $1.00/stem for the higher quality-it will make a difference!
5. Pick flowers in their natural colors. I know it's hard to avoid that glittered white party rose, but trust me on this.

With that said, here's how I got my Peony fix today:


I just put some (non permanent) water in the bottom because I have commitment issues when it comes to home decor, BUT if you're sure you won't want to change the arrangement you could use a kit like this to permanently simulate water. Resin kits can be found in the floral section of most craft stores.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tips!

Post a Comment