Saturday, July 3, 2010

Don't Let The Bugs In!

If I had a nickel for every time I've said that....well, you know how that ends.

I love a good breeze, and it doesn't get better than summer evenings here in Asheville. As part of our dining room/balcony makeover, we decided to hang a screen door to take advantage of the cooler nights.

Because our balcony is about 30 feet off the ground, we didn't really need any security. Basically all I needed was something to keep the bugs out. In fact, it's probably very easy to make a door like this yourself-but the price couldn't be beat! We opted for the $19.99 basic wood screen door with a hanging kit (about $15).


It turns out there have been some major advances in screen door technology; there is no need for those pneumatic slower-than-a-snail-but-hisses-like-a-snake devices that make sure the door doesn't slam shut. Now the hardware kits include spring loaded hinges so it's fuss-free in that regard.

I painted the door with some leftover outdoor paint from the Adirondack chair we put out on the balcony, and it was ready to hang.

Now, I won't tell you this was easy. As it turns out, our door opening wasn't quite 36''-the closest door size. But, the hubby always loves an excuse to help me out of a jam by showing off his awesome man skills. After some planing on all 4 sides, the door now swings easily in the opening. All I had to do was repaint it *smacks forehead*


But-even with the difficult installation-I'm so pleased with the result. We're all set for some cool summer breezes and the first hints of fall!

1 comments:

Rachael said...

Yup it was a steal-especially since we didn't need anything really secure. The hook and eye is handy though because otherwise the cats/dog can open it haha!

Post a Comment