Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The No-Poo Solution

I know what you're thinking, but rest assured this is not a constipation remedy. It's more of a lifestyle choice, as in no [sham]poo. Recently I read about this increasingly popular natural solution to hair care. The premise is that your hair and scalp can regulate themselves if given the chance and that shampooing just strips the hair-which conditioner then has to repair. People who have tried the No-Poo method report shiny, healthy hair.

So what does this involve? Basically the goal is to just be washing your hair with water, a simple rinse is all you need to keep your mane in tip top shape. BUT the transition period can be rough while your scalp learns how much oil it needs to produce- it's a supply and demand relationship that traditional shampoo wreaks havoc on. When you take away the stripping power of the shampoo, you may end up looking like a greaseball for a few weeks. The best way to get around this is to use a baking soda and apple cider vinegar regimen a few times a week to manage the oil, eventually weaning off this alltogether. Check out this woman's story.

If you know me personally, you know this is totally something I would try. Not because I'm into crazy or trendy things, but because I'm all about doing things as naturally as possible (I also feed my dog a raw diet). I'm more drawn to natural methods of doing things, rather than say just buying organic groceries. To me, it's about the process. Maybe I'm just a little off. Despite the not-so-appealing name, I think I would like to give this No-Poo thing a go. Starting tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment