Thursday, July 1, 2010

Farmhouse Dining Table

Yesterday I posted about my plan to refinish my boring dining set. After many many hours of sanding and painting, I'm finally ready to show you the final result.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane.



And now, the totally polished after:



Here's how I did it:

I sanded, primed, and painted the chairs and pedestal with Zinser Bullseye Primer, 1 coat of flat black cheap paint, and 1 coat Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze. I applied 3 coats of Minwax Oil Based Polyurethane after everything was dry (waiting 3-4 hours between coats, and lightly sanding with 220 grit).

The top of the table was sanded completely to bare wood. This was a long process! I started with 60 grit, then 100, then 220. After removing all the dust, I applied 2 coats of Minwax "Cherry" stain. I chose this color because it was the closest match to the tone of the buffet, but not too dark (I wanted a contrast between the top and everything else). After the stain was completely dry, I applied 4 (yes 4!) coats of the same poly I used for the chairs.

Cost Breakdown:

1 quart Zinser Primer-already had ($7.98 new)

5 x $0.99 for Flat Black spray paint- $4.95

5 x $2.67 for Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint- $13.35

1/2 pint of Minwax Wood Finish in "Cherry"- $4.38

1 quart Minwax Oil Based Polyurethane (plenty left over!)- $9.97

Total: $32.65-not bad for a brand new dining set!

You wouldn't be able to see from the before picture, but the top was a complete wreck and there were paint marks all over the chairs. Now it's practically brand new! I can't wait to accessorize it with a runner (perhaps a homemade burlap one?), tablescape, and some nice chair cushions :)

4 comments:

Sandy Walters said...

looks fantastic! What do you think about doing the top of the buffet the same as the chairs?

Rachael said...

That might look cool! Plus, it's already kind of worn from the coffee maker...hmm....

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Very nice! I'm always amazed how much an item changes with just a colour change. Enjoy that 'new kitchen set' of yours! :)

Donna

Rachael said...

Thank you so much! Love your blog!

Post a Comment