Monday, July 5, 2010

Tutorial: Reupholstering A Cushion

Last week I picked up this stool in need of a major face-lift.

how to reupholster a custion on stool or bench


I wasn't too sure where this little treasure would live in our house, so I decided to stick with neutral colors. I had some extra painter's drop cloths from another project, so I decided to use that to recover the top. It was super easy, and only took about 5 minutes. Here's how I did it.

Materials List:

  • Fabric

  • Staple Gun

  • Cushion


Lay your cushion face down on the fabric and cut the material large enough to wrap around the edges.

reupholster cushion on stool or bench 2


I stapled the fabric down each flat side, leaving the corners open to finish later. Just make sure you are pulling the fabric taut as you staple.

reupholster cushion on stool or bench 3


There are a few ways to work in the corner fabric, but I just decided to go with the "wrap like a present" approach.

reupholster cushion corner on stool or bench 4


reupholster cushion on stool or bench 5


After sanding, priming, and painting the bottom half of the stool, here's the end result. I love the huge contrast between the dark and dreary before and the bright after. Plus the colors are so neutral I could use this in our master bedroom or in the office/guest room.

reupholster cushion on stool or bench 6

0 comments:

Post a Comment