Thursday, July 8, 2010

Make Me Over: Master Bedroom

I know it seems like I'm harping on the master bedroom, but come on-it's the master bedroom! I am spending more time planning this makeover than I have even thinking about any other room (unfortunately what that means is there is a whole lot of thinking going on, and not a lot of doing). I really want to get it right and create a space that is both relaxing and energizing. It feels lived in, but is neat and polished.

I also thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce my new house series, "Make Me Over." Since most of my house is still in transition, I have been hesitant to share pictures. But I know one of my favorite things about reading other blogs is seeing pictures of the home! How could I continue to hold out? Everyone starts somewhere, so it would be hypocritical of me to keep my decorating skeletons in the closet.

That said, I'm in the final stages now of planning the master bedroom now and wanted to share the grand vision. It's changed a lot over the past few weeks-even with respect to furniture I've already refinished like this and this.

Without further ado, here are my plans.



We'll start by painting the walls a soft gray, then I'll replace the art above the bed with a white framed collage of some wedding pictures and those monogram art canvases I made awhile back. I'll replace the upholstered headboard I made (a few years ago for our queen size) with a new bed (complete with footboard!) We'll build nightstands and top them with taller lamps. The short ones just don't match the scale of the bed.

Meanwhile,



On the other side of the room, the dresser I just stained will be getting another makeover in white with vintage hardware. The mirror will also be getting a face-lift, perhaps in one of the other colors in the room. I'll move the dresser and mirror to the adjacent wall (it will be facing the balcony door) and create a reading nook in that alcove. We'll build a bookcase and move the chair into the space, then finish with that swing floor lamp I picked up at the thrift store. I'll add white blinds like those in my office to help darken the room at night.

I'll refinish Mike's dresser to match mine.


Source List:

Well there you have it folks, I've laid out the plan which means I have to commit. Stay tuned for updates!

2 comments:

Sandy Walters said...

I love all the plans! Are you going to mount the mirror when you are finished, I think it will look more finished mounted. I love the nightstands. Can you put a bigger top on them to make them more functional?

Rachael said...

Yes I'm planning to mount the mirror on the wall, I just haven't yet because I knew we were planning on painting. I think we will also make the nightstands bigger, about 18''x18''.

Post a Comment