Saturday, July 3, 2010

Tutorial: Burlap Runner

When I was looking for something simple and textural for my kitchen table, burlap was the first thing that came to mind. My table is on the smaller side so I liked the idea of a custom runner.

burlap table runner


Totally charming and perfect. Here's how you can make your own!

Materials List:

  • Fabric

  • Stitch Witchery/Iron Hem Tape (or sewing machine if you want!)

  • Fabric glue/Fray Stopper

  • Scissors, Iron, Tape Measure


Decide on a width and length for your runner-you want it to hang about 6 inches off the table. Don't forget to account for hemming (I did 1 inch on each edge). If you want to add a ruffle trim like mine, you'll want to account for that also as it will be added after the main body is done. But this isn't an exact science, and I doubt the table runner police will arrest you if it's slightly longer or shorter so don't freak out too much.

Cut the fabric for the main body of the runner and get your iron ready!

You'll want to hem all four sides, I use a foldover style hem where I fold about 1/4'' down and iron a crease, and then fold it over again and use the Stitch Witchery to create the hem there. That way there are no visible frayed edges. You can find more details on that here, but it should be pretty simple-just do whatever style hem works best for you!

Next, the ruffle. Now if you're not into the ruffle you can totally leave it as it is. You'll have a great classic custom runner! But if you're into the sweet detail, here's how to do it:

Because of the ruffling action, you'll want to cut a piece of fabric about twice as long as what you cut for your main body. The width is up to you, just keep in mind you'll need to hem a bit on each edge. Cut two pieces, one for each end of the runner.

Fold over a small amount on each of the short sides and iron a crease. I cut a piece of hem tape in half to fit into the smaller space. If you don't want the fringe on the end, go ahead and hem one of the long sides too.

how to make burlap table runner


Let's begin on the ruffle. You'll be doing this on one long side (un-hemmed). Fold over about 1/4'' and iron a crease. With the right side facing up, pinch the fabric to create a pleat and use small pieces of hem tape to tack it down with the iron.


Ruffles not your thing? Try edging with ribbon or lace.


diy burlap table runner


ruffle burlap table runner


Continue pleating the fabric until the end, like so:


no sew burlap table runner


It doesn't have to be perfect, especially if you're using a rustic fabric like burlap or canvas! Turn your ruffle over and insert pieces of hem tape under your new folds and iron them down from the back. To attach the ruffle, lay both wrong sides up and line up the edges. Tack both edges down with hem tape, then work in the rest. Even if it's not a perfect fit, you should be able to squeeze in your ruffles and iron them in place with pieces of tape. If you've left your bottom edge un-hemmed (like I did), be sure to stop the fraying action with some fabric glue like this.


stitch witchery table runner


Repeat with the other side, and you'll be on your way to the cutest table decor on the block!



***Linked Up***


tatertots & jello


funky junk saturday nite special


iheartnaptimebuttonsundayscoop



10 comments:

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Love burlap and ruffles - a perfect combination!

Rachael said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Pam said...

Being a non sewer I was hooked on your thumbnail title. :) I have been helping my mom look for a table runner for her coffee table and cool ones are next to impossible to find. Thanks for this idea.
I would be flattered if you would consider sharing it on my first ever linky party at Becolorful.
Thanks,
Pam

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Very cute! I love your ruffle.

Rachael said...

Thank you so much!

Rachael said...

Wow Pam, I'd be honored to share! Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope your mom tries the runner, it was super easy!

Jennie Larsen said...

Love this idea, I love it more that it requires no sew. You did a great job. I adore burlap and I so want a burlap runner. p.s. i don't see craftomanic linked, if I am mistaken please forgive me. Have a great night. Jen

Rachael said...

Oops I'm so sorry Jennie! I must have spazzed out a bit, this is my first week doing linky parties. I have linked you up now. Again I apologize, and thanks for checking out my blog!!!

Kara from Kara's Korner said...

Great job and excellent tutorial Rachael! Love it!!

Rachael said...

Thank you so much Kara! When I have time this evening I'll check out your blog!

Post a Comment