Monday, July 26, 2010

Living Room Progress

We've accomplished a few things in the living room that have already made a HUGE difference! Let's go back to where it started.







Our lackluster style combined with not enough seating created a room that I have never truly been happy with. My husband would joke that I would rearrange it every week-and he was practically right! No amount of shuffling I did ever solved all of our problems.

Step 1: I moved the red couch to the wall where the TV was. I think it was the moving of cables and having to setup the TV again that prevented me from ever trying this. Boy was that a huge mistake, because this has made ALL the difference. The couch fills up the wall better than the tiny TV which actually makes the room look larger! It's like we gained a whole wall!

Step 2: Move the TV to the spot where the recliner was. The was another huge improvement because the scale of the TV and stand fit the scale of that small corner. We ended up selling the recliner on Craiglist.

Step 3: Create more  seating. While my attempt at occasional seating via ottomans was effective, it wasn't exactly pleasing to the eye. We moved those to the basement since we needed some seating down there and purchased a small loveseat on Craigslist for $50!

I also bought a new sisal rug to lighten up the space a bit. Next on the to-do list is to repaint the accent walls, rearrange the art, and add new throw pillows.

2 comments:

Sandy Walters said...

would it be too crazy to put the rug diagonal?

Rachael said...

Haha, I've tried so many rug arrangements I guess I could try that too. I originally wanted one large 8x10, but it's just soooo cost prohibitive. Two rugs wouldn't really work. We are definitely getting an ottoman at some point which would fill up the floor a bit, so I'm hoping that will look good. But I do actually like more of the wood to show through, so I don't mind how it is now.

Post a Comment